About two months or so ago, I was perusing one of my favorite blogs, A Beautiful Mess, when I came across a post that was about a DIY welcome mat. As soon as I saw the project, I knew it was something I wanted to try.
How cute is that? They did such an awesome job and I love the simplicity and vibrancy of it.
Since my best friend and her husband just bought their very first home, I knew that I wanted to give them something homemade and since I don’t own a chisel or know how to get my hands on a giant stone from which to sculpt a massive statue of Zeus for their front lawn, I thought this seemed perfect!
DIY Welcome Mat
- Plain welcome mat–I got mine at Target.
- Latex or porch paint–Though the ABM ladies suggested porch paint because of its durability, they did say that you could use any latex paint so I got four testers of latex paint which was much less expensive than porch paint.
- Craft brushes–Make sure they can be used with acrylic/latex paint. The ones I picked up are by Martha Stewart.
*All my supplies were purchased at Home Depot.
First, I laid out the paint chips above the mat, switching this one with that one until I felt like I had a good color scheme going.
The second time is actually where I departed from the ABM tutorial and did my own thing. And, I am not sure I can actually recommend what I did because I think it worked out via pure luck.
The ladies suggested using poster board and contact paper as a stencil for the letters but I decided to wing it and start painting free hand. I didn’t even write it out in pencil or pen. Good idea, right?
I wanted to use a vibrant color scheme so I chose to paint with Glidden Duo Paint and Primer testers in Watermelon Smoothie, Pool Party, Dazzling Daffodil, and New Grass Green.
Painting it freehand went shockingly well with the “M” just being slightly more narrow than the rest of the letters because of the rug wanting to curl right in that area. If your rug comes rolled up, I would suggest rolling it in the opposite direction or flattening it out with some heavy books the night before. This may sound like common sense to you, but to me, it didn’t cross my mind until AFTER I started painting.
While the DIY itself was pretty easy it was a little time consuming. The first round of painting took me about an hour and then every coat after that (I did three coats) took about 40 minutes each (10 minutes per letter) for a total of 2 hours and 20 minutes. MATH!
In the end, I really liked the way it came out, and I think I might even end up painting one for our house as well!